Friday 7 May 2010

General Election: UK vs Malaysia

I am glad that I have an opportunity to see how election is carried out in the UK, the other country apart from Malaysia, shame that I am not able to make it to register myself as the voter for UK general election.

I love my country very much especially the food, no doubt, Malaysia is a food heaven, name the food and you can find it somewhere. With no disrespect to any parties, I would like to point out several major differences which I had noticed.

1. Open debate


I managed to watch parts of the debate and I find that they were debating about the national issues rather personal attacking the opponents which sometimes happens in Malaysian politician debates.

The debate script and some of the videos are available on line. However, do you ever find that Malaysian politician debate script available for download? Anyway, I do not think people will be interested to download as well as there were more 'crap' rather than national issues. Even though they debate national issues, still some religious or racist issues will pop up which made the debate quite annoying. Sometimes, I as a Malaysian, I have no idea how to introduce myself to people from the other country, am I Malaysian or am I chinese from Malaysia? I like our PM's idea about 'One Malaysia' but how feasible is this vision if his and his government are still doing things on their way?

2. Open media



Yesterday while waiting for the result, I watched a show called 'Channel 4's Alternative Election Night'. The hosts were openly commenting and making a bit of jokes on the political leaders. I think this meant no disrespect, perhaps was another way to increase the entertainment elements to report the election situation. Straight away I told SJ, if we have the same show in Malaysia, guess what, tomorrow you will probably see these people who make this show are jailed under ISA act.

3. Open election

Besides hundreds of voters were turned away from polling stations and police called to deal with queues as the voting deadline passed, I haven't heard something about 'phantom voters' (which happens quite often during Malaysia election).

It is all about the 'open-ness'. I think it is a bit ideal for Malaysia to achieve the 100% open-ness. I am not sure whether this is due to the culture or people are not willing to switch or change their mindset. Another thing I can see is 'change' is the key thing of any campaign agenda. Same thing happen to US, Malaysia and now the UK.

I am quite anxious to know who will be the next PM of the UK.


No comments: